Back in the day we grew up with McDonald’s making deep-fried apple pies, and you know that their current offering of a baked apple pie just isn’t the same. However, the old school now-vanished McDonald’s traditional hot apple pie can be made at home with our copycat recipe. Enjoy !
MacDonald's Hot Apple Pie
- 2 cups apples, (peeled, cored and diced into 5mm cubes) approx 2-3 medium apples
- ½ tablespoon , juice only of lemon
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- canola oil
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- In a large saucepan over medium heat combine apples, lemon juice, sugars, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix well. Stir occasionally until mixture begins to bubble.
- Meanwhile combine water and flour in a jar or container. Shake to combine. Add to pot. Continue boiling, stirring constantly until apples are softened, approximately 5 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla. Set aside to cool.
- In a heavy-bottomed pan with deep sides, heat about 3 cm of oil to 175°C.
- Meanwhile, using a sharp knife cut each pasty sheet into 3 equal long pieces. Lay pasty sheet strips out horizontally on floured work surface. Place ¼ cup apple pie filling on the left half of each dough strip. Moisten your clean fingers and wet the edge of the pastry. Gently pick up the right side of the dough and fold dough on top of the left side, encasing the filling (if any filling seeps out push it back in)
- Gently press along the edge with the tines of a fork. Once all pies are assembled fry them 2 at a time. Cook for 3-4 minutes total, carefully flipping them over halfway through. Remove pies from oil when they are a nice golden brown. Place on a stack of paper towels to drain off excess oil. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Repeat until all pies are cooked.
Rate this Recipe