- 200 g plain flour (all-purpose flour)
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- 185 g cold unsalted butter, chopped
- 150 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 600 g .blackberries, fresh or frozen, thawed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- icing sugar (powdered sugar), to serve
Rate & Comment on this this Recipe
- Process flour, baking powder, butter and 75 g caster sugar in a food processor until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add 2 egg yolks and process until mixture forms a ball; dough will be soft. Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface.
- Reserve one-third of the dough; shape into a disc, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Using damp hands, press remaining dough into the base and sides of a greased and lined 20 cm pie dish. Place pie shell in the refrigerator to chill.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. To make filling, using an electric mixer, whisk egg whites to soft peaks, then gradually add remaining 75 g sugar and whisk until thick and glossy. Fold in blackberries, vanilla and lemon zest until combined. Spoon into pastry shell and, using a small knife, slice off small pieces of reserved dough and place over filling to cover.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean. Serve warm or cold dusted with icing sugar.
Like this recipe?Follow us @csoftwareaustra