Moist cupcakes with a burst of the tropics from coconut milk and desiccated coconut, topped with a coconut-cream cheese frosting. Add pineapple pieces to the tops for an extra tropical treat.
- 120 g butter
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1¼ cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
For coconut cream cheese frosting
- ½ cup butter, at room temperature
- 250 g Philadelphia cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ cup icing sugar (powdered sugar)
- ½ cup sweetened desiccated coconut plus 1 cup extra for garnish
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place patty pans on a baking tray and set aside.
- Using a mixer, cream the butter until pale and fluffy. Gradually add in the sugar until well combined.
- With the motor running add one egg at a time ensuring you scrape down the sides of the bowl to get and even mixture.
- Add the vanilla extract and gradually add the coconut milk until all combined.
- In a separate bowl mix the plain flour, salt, baking powder and desiccated coconut. Beat this into the wet mixture about a half a cup at a time until well combined.
- Fill the patty pans two-thirds full and bake for 20-25 minutes.
To make frosting
- Cream the butter and cream cheese together, about 3 minutes. Scraped down the sides and bottom.
- Slowly add the icing sugar. Fold in the coconut. Spread onto cooled cupcakes.
- Roll covered cupcake top in the extra desiccated coconut to cover
Rate this Recipe