Savoury cakes and loaves are very popular in France, appearing in boulangeries and in chic cafés with a side salad on lunch menus. However, they are most likely to appear at a picnic. They are very easy to make and versatile in what ingredients to use. Simply follow the basic batter recipe and use your creativity with the fillings
- 250 g plain flour (all-purpose flour)
- ¾ tablespoon baking powder
- 150 g soft goat’s cheese, cut into small pieces
- 80 g pistachios, roughly chopped
- 100 g prunes, roughly chopped
- 4 eggs
- 150 ml olive oil
- 100 ml milk
- 50 g plain yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pinch freshly-ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line a 22 x 11 x 6cm loaf tin with baking paper.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, goat’s cheese, pistachios and prunes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs until fluffy and pale in colour. Then gradually whisk in the oil, milk and yoghurt. Season with the salt and freshly-ground black pepper.
- Fold the flour mixture into the whisked eggs. Try not to over-beat as this will make the end result tough <em>(it is better to under-mix)</em>.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a metal skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin.
Rate this Recipe