Marley Spoon Australia On A Plate – Week 2 – British
While British food isn’t perhaps as widely celebrated in Australia as other global cuisines, it certainly holds a strong place in the hearts (and stomachs) of many British migrants. The Sunday roast is still a popular tradition, although you’re likely to find less Yorkshire puddings on the Australian table.
There are also several British expat producers who have successfully re-created the sausages and blood puddings of their homeland, and essential condiments such as piccalilli and Branston pickle are readily available, as are even fresh produce such as Blue Stilton and Red Leicester cheese.
Lancashire Lamb Hotpot with Mushy Peas
- 250 g lamb mince
- 400 g Desiree potatoes
- 100 g brown onion
- 120 g carrots
- 250 g peas
- 10 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 5 g chicken cubes
- bunch fresh thyme
- bunch fresh mint
- 2 whole bay leaves
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil for the potatoes. Halve the onion, then thinly slice. Quarter carrots lengthwise, then thinly slice. Crumble stock cubes in a heatproof jug, add the boiling water and combine. Pick thyme leaves, discarding stems. Peel potatoes, then slice into 3mm-thick rounds.
- Add potatoes to the pan of boiling water and par-cook for 4 minutes. Drain and immediately refresh in a colander under cold running water, to arrest cooking, so that the potato slices retain their shape. Rinse the pan and reserve. Melt two-thirds of the butter.
- While potatoes are cooking, heat half the oil in a large frypan over medium-high heat. Brown lamb for 3-4 minutes, breaking up with a wooden spoon. Season with salt. Transfer to a bowl. Heat remaining oil in the pan over medium heat. Add onion and stir for 3-5 minutes until golden. Add carrot and thyme, and stir for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Return the lamb to the pan. Add the flour and stir for 1-2 minutes until starting to thicken. Add the stock, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaves, and bring to the boil. Remove pan from heat. Lightly grease a 1L baking dish with melted butter.
- Arrange one-third of the potatoes in a thin layer over the base of the dish. Add lamb mixture, then arrange the remaining potatoes over the top, overlapping one another. Brush with melted butter and season with salt and pepper. Put on an oven tray and bake for 10 minutes. Switch oven to grill on high, then grill for 5 minutes or until the top is golden.
- Meanwhile, pick and coarsely chop the mint leaves. Melt the remaining butter in the reserved pan over medium heat. Add peas and stir for 1-2 minutes until heated through. Season with salt and pepper, then coarsely mash using a potato masher. Stir in mint. Serve hotpot with the peas.
Rate this Recipe