Servings: 18 scones
- 3½ cups plain flour (all-purpose flour)
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 7½ tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 orange , zest only of orange, from large orange
- 1 teaspoon fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- ¾ tablespoon milk
For the glaze
- 2 cups icing sugar (powdered sugar)
- 3 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice, more if desired or necessary
Rate & Comment on this this Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. (400°F ; Gas Mark 6)
- Sift the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into a large bowl. Cut in butter using a pastry blender or fork until it is in pea sized lumps. Mix together 1 cup milk and sour cream in a measuring cup. Pour all at once into the dry ingredients, add the zest and the juice and stir gently until combined. It will be a little lumpy, be careful not to over mix.
- With floured hands, form dough into balls 5 - 7 cm across. Place onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and flatten lightly. Whisk together the egg and ¾ tablespoon of milk. Brush the tops of the scones with the egg wash. Let them rest for a few minutes before putting them into the oven.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until the tops are golden brown. Remove from the oven and let them cool completely on a baking rack before glazing.
- For the glaze, whisk the icing sugar and orange juice together until smooth. If it looks too thick, add more juice. Too thin, add more sugar until it’s a nice consistency for drizzling. Pour glaze over cooled scones and allow the glaze to set before serving.
Serving: 1scone | Calories: 231kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 26mg | Sodium: 50mg | Potassium: 197mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 20g | Vitamin A: 226IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 87mg | Iron: 1mg
Like this recipe?Follow us @csoftwareaustra