Broccolini is a green vegetable similar to broccoli but with smaller florets and longer, thin stalks. Often misidentified as young broccoli, it is a hybrid of broccoli and kai-lan, both cultivar groups of Brassica oleracea. It was originally developed by the Sakata Seed Company of Yokohama, Japan, in 1993 as “aspabroc”.
The entire vegetable is consumable, including the occasional yellow flower. Common cooking methods include sauteeing, steaming, boiling, and stir frying. Its flavour is sweet, with notes of both broccoli and asparagus, although it is not closely related to the latter. Nutritionally, it is high in vitamin C and contains vitamin A, calcium, folate, and iron.
In Australia, Broccolini is a registered trademark licensed to Perfection Fresh Australia by the Sakata Seed Company.
In Japan, it is highly popular as a spring vegetable, and usually eaten steamed.
In Brazil, the common form of the word broccoli (“brócolis”) refers to broccolini: the more traditional broccoli is called “brócolis americano” (American broccoli).
- Choose crisp, bright green stalks and tightly closed buds. A few yellow flowers on the stalk do not indicate staleness.
- Refrigerate unwashed broccolini in plastic bag up to ten days. Rinse before using.
- Available from January to December
- Broccoli (not as tender or sweet).
- See our Broccolini Recipes Collection
- Asian style stir fries: Combine with chicken, pork, lamb, or seafood. For a vegetarian alternative, Broccolini®: pairs well with mushrooms, tofu and chickpeas.
- Battered: Florets and stems can be dipped in a flour or beer batter or egg wash and crumb mix, quickly deep fried and served with a variety of dipping sauces.
- Grilled: Blanch, then drain and brush with a little oil and favourite seasoning. Wrap the flower in foil to prevent charring and grill till the veggie softens.
BROCCOLINI ~ Nutrition Facts
- Serving Size100 g
- Amount per serving
- Energy29 kJ
- % Daily Value*
- Total Fat0.4 g0.51%
- Saturated Fat0 g0%
- Trans Fat0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat0 g
- Monounsaturated Fat0 g
- Cholesterol0 mg0%
- Sodium16 mg0.7%
- Total Carbohydrate2 g0.73%
- Dietary Fibre2.5 g8.93%
- Total Sugars0 g
- Added Sugars0 g0%
- Protein3.2 g6.4%
- Vitamin D (Cholecalciferol)0 mcg0%
- Calcium39 mg3%
- Iron0.78 mg4.33%
- Potassium250 mg5.32%
- Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid)12 mg13.33%
- Vitamin E (Tocopherol)0.22 mg1.47%
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamin)0.07 mg5.83%
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)0.08 mg6.15%
- Vitamin B3 (Niacin)0 mg0%
- Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)0.06 mg4.62%
- Folate123 mcg30.75%
- Vitamin B12 (Cobalamine)0 mcg0%
- Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic acid)0.23 mg4.6%
- Phosphorus61 mg8.71%
- Iodine1.2 mcg0.8%
- Magnesium21 mg5.25%
- Zinc0.45 mg4.09%
- Selenium1.7 mcg3.09%
- Copper0.074 mg8.22%
- Manganese0.21 mg9.13%
- Chromium0 mcg0%
- Molybdenum19 mcg42.22%
- Moisture92.2 g
- Ash0.8 g