Packed full of fibre and goodness this spicy black bean and kale soup is sure to comfort on a cold winter day.
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil, see notes
- 425 g canned black beans, see notes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, chopped in cubes
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ cup corn kernels
- 4 cups kale, chopped
- 1 cup fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves, chopped
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 2½ tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 4 cups water
- ½ cup brown rice
- 2 cups water, for cooking the rice
- In a medium sized pot, pour in the rice and 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Let simmer for 25-30 minutes until cooked. Set aside when cooked
- Meanwhile, heat a large pot with the oil. Saute the onions and garlic for a few minutes, until they begin to turn translucent.
- Add the celery, sweet potato and spices. Saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, stock cube, 4 cups water, black beans and corn kernels. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Add the kale, continue simmering for 8 - 10 minutes or until just wilted.
- Sprinkle fresh coriander on top before serving.
Coconut oil and canned black beans are generally available at the larger supermarkets.
Like this recipe?Follow us @csoftwareaustra