Bring the spicy aromatic flavours of Thailand to your table with this quick and easy beef stir-fry. We show you how to whip up this satisfying dinner complete with steamed rice, from prep to serving in 30 minutes flat. And we guarantee that it will be healthier and more delicious than any of your local takeaways.
Here’s What You Need[one_half]300 g jasmine rice
2 cloves garlic
1 large knob ginger
4 long red chillies
1 bunch Thai basil
2 tablespoons fish sauce
300 g green beans[/one_half][one_half_last]500 g broccoli
300 g beef, cut into stir-fry strips
500 ml (2 cups) water
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons vegetable oil[/one_half_last]
Here’s What You Do
- 300 g jasmine rice
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large knob fresh ginger
- 4 long red chillies
- 1 bunch Thai basil
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 300 g green beans
- 500 g broccoli
- 300 g beef, cut into stir-fry strips
- 500 ml , 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Rinse the rice well in a sieve under water. Add to a medium saucepan with the water and cover with a lid. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, then reduce heat to low and cook for 12 minutes or until water has absorbed. Turn off the heat and stand, covered, for at least 5 minutes.
- While rice is cooking, thinly slice the garlic. Peel and finely grate the ginger. Finely chop the chillies, removing the seeds if less heat is desired. Pick the basil leaves. Combine the fish sauce, vinegar, soy sauce and sugar in a bowl, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- Trim the green beans and cut into 3 cm lengths. Trim the broccoli, then cut into florets and thickly slice the stem.
- Heat half the oil in a wok or large deep fry-pan over medium-high heat. Stir-fry the green beans and the broccoli with 4 tablespoons water for 2-3 minutes until bright green and just tender. Drain well and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil over high heat. Stir-fry the garlic, ginger and chillies for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add the beef and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes until browned.
- Return the vegetables to the pan with the fish sauce mixture and most of the basil. Stir-fry for 1 minute or until the vegetables are heated through. Scatter over the remaining basil and serve with the rice.