Paw Paw Casserole is one of the more popular ways to enjoy paw paws. This dinner idea is great for large families or get-togethers. While it is a popular dish in Bermuda it solely is dependent on the years harvest for locally grown pawpaws. Many local residents have pawpaw trees growing right in their back yards! If not then you can always purchase from local farmer markets or grocery stores, when in season.
- 4 green pawpaw
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 1 large brown onion
- 450 g beef mince (ground beef)
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Skin, and dice paw paws. Cook until tender (To a consistency that is easy to mash).
- Mash paw paws.
- Layer bottom of baking dish with a thin layer of mashed paw paws and thinly sliced tomatoes.
- Saute beef mince and finely chopped onion in a small amount of olive oil.
- Place a layer of this beef mixture on top of the layer of paw paw in casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with some grated cheese cheese.
- Alternate these layers with paw paw at the top of which you can then add the remainder of the grated cheese.
- Bake at 200°C for about 45 minutes