This is one of our most popular meatloaf recipes – a classic beef mince meatloaf with a sweetened glaze of tomato sauce and brown sugar.
- 1 kg beef mince (ground beef)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Make up a suitably sized water bath and place into the oven.
- Place beef mince into a mixing bowl and add onion, crushed garlic, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, parsley, breadcrumbs, eggs, and salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Place the beef mixture into a lightly oiled loaf or terrine mould and then place the mould into the hot water bath and bake for 50 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before turning out onto serving plate. Set to one side and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, to make the tomato sauce, saute the onion in melted butter over a moderate heat for approximately 2 minutes until soft. Add the crushed garlic and sauté for a further minute. Then add the brown sugar and vinegar. Allow to reduce, stirring regularly until thick and syrupy.
- Add chopped tomatoes, dried oregano, salt and bay leaves. Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and stir tomatoes regularly for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and add the basil. Allow to cool and remove the bay leaves and basil. Check seasoning before pouring sauce over the meat loaf to serve.
- Garnish with some fresh basil leaves.
Rate this Recipe