This meaty pasta sauce is very similar to Ragù Bolognese and is quick to cook. Although the addition of milk might seem unusual it is traditional in northern Italy where butter, cream, and milk are considered essential to the cuisine.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¾ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sized carrot, grated
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 - 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 350 g beef mince (ground beef)
- 800 g can diced tomatoes
- ½ cup milk
- 1 dried bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat the butter and oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and stir in the carrot, onion, garlic, and beef mince.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beef mince turns a nice brown colour (about 5 minutes).
- Add the can of diced tomatoes (including the liquid).
- Stir in milk, bay leaf, thyme, nutmeg, ½ teaspoon salt, and a grind or two of black pepper.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- Serve with your preferred pasta and grated Parmesan cheese