This rich lamb shank casserole is perfect for entertaining guest or to feed a family of four. Try it with mashed sweet potato and some wedges of fresh pumpkin.
Casserole of Lamb Shanks in Red Wine
- 4 lamb shanks
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 500 ml 2 cups beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 750 ml red wine
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Season the lamb shanks with salt and pepper.
- In the pan, brown the lamb shanks on all sides in olive oil. Remove from pan and put into a casserole dish to stand.
- In the same frying pan, place the carrots, onions, garlic, bay leaves and rosemary. Cook slowly until nicely coloured.
- Pour red wine, beef stock, and the brown sugar into the frying pan. Stir gently & bring to a low boil.
- Pour the wine mixture over the lamb shanks; top up with water if needed.
- Cover the dish and put in oven; cook for 2½ - 3 hours until very tender.
- Remove the lamb shanks then skim the fat off the top of the red wine juices.
- Mix together cornflour with just a bit of cold water and whisk the cornflour mixture into the red wine juices to give desired consistency.
Rate this Recipe