Stefania meatloaf (Stefánia szelet) or Stefania slices are a Hungarian meatloaf baked in a loaf pan, with hard boiled eggs in the middle, making decorative white and yellow rings in the middle of the slices.
Stefánia Szelet - Stefania Meatloaf
- 700 g minced (ground) pork
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds, finely ground
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons marjoram
- 2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup fine breadcrumbs
- cooking spray
- 3-4 hard-boiled eggs
- 2 boiled carrots, cut length strips
- 2-3 pickles, cut lengthwise into strips, optional
- 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs
- ½ cup grated cheese
- Preheat oven to 175°C.
- Pour olive oil into a non stick pan. Add the onions and sauté until translucent.
- Place the pork mince in a large bowl. Add the sautéed onions and the grated garlic.
- Add the salt, pepper, ground caraway seeds, marjoram, parsley and Hungarian paprika.
- Add the eggs and the breadcrumbs. With clean hands, combine the mixture thoroughly.
- Peel the hard-boiled eggs.
- Place half of the meat mixture on a board. Shape the meat into a long oblong.
- Lay the hard-boiled eggs, carrots & pickles in a row in the middle. Cover with the remaining dough and shape it into a loaf.
- Sprinkle with combined breadcrumbs and cheese.
- Spray an ovenproof dish with cooking spray. This is an important step
- Bake the meatloaf at 175°C for an hour.
- Serve it hot or cold.
Rate this Recipe