- 700 g lean pork
- 300 g back fat, jowls, hard fat trimmings
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
- 5 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pink salt, cure #2 powder
- ½ teaspoon dextrose, glucose
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 3 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1½ teaspoons hot pimentón or cayenne pepper
- 1½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 0.25 g F-LC or L-HP culture, use a scale for exactness
- Grind pork through 8 mm plate.
- minutes before use, mix culture with 15 ml (¾ tablespoon) de-chlorinated water.
- Mix all ingredients with the ground pork.
- Stuff firmly into 24 mm sheep casings. Make 60 cm long links.
- Ferment at 24ºC for 48 hours, 90-85% humidity.
- Dry at 12 - 16ºC,, 85-80% humidity for 3 weeks. (a larger diameter casing will require longer drying time);. The sausage is dried when around 30-35% in weight is lost.
- Store sausages at 10-15ºC, 75% humidity.
Cooks Notes & Variations
Chistorra sausage is consumed often fried and in such a case it can be served at any time after stuffing. It will, however, develop a different flavour after being fermented and dried.
Serving: 0g | Calories: 0kcal | Carbohydrates: 0g | Protein: 0g | Fat: 0g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 0mg | Potassium: 0mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 0% | Vitamin C: 0% | Calcium: 0% | Iron: 0%