When in season these globe artichokes are stuffed with a herb and garlic breadcrumb mixture and served with vegetables as either a main dish on its own or as a side dish.
Punjeni Artichoke - Croatian Stuffed Artichokes
- 5 large globe artichokes
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 500 g baby new potatoes
- 100 g freshly shelled peas
- 100 g freshly shelled broad beans
- 250 ml olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Remove any old and loose leaves from the artichokes. Cut off the stalks and srt them aside for using later in the recipe. Slice about 2 cm off the top of each artichoke. Scoop out the choke with a teaspoon.
- Make the stuffing by mixing the breadcrumbs, garlic, parsley and pepper. Gently open the leaves of each artichoke with your thumbs and add stuffing between the leaves.
- Place the artichokes upright in the centre of a large saucepan. Add the potatoes around the artichokes. Scatter the peas, broad beans and artichoke stalks on top and sprinkle with any remaining stuffing. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with the olive oil and add enough water to cover the artichokes.
- Bring to the boil then reduce the heat to low and cook uncovered for about 1 hour (Don’t stir, just shake the pan occasionally).
- Serve the warm stuffed artichokes with crusty bread.
Rate this Recipe