For the strudel dough
- 250 g butter
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 packet instant dry yeast, 7 g
- 600 g plain flour (all-purpose flour)
- zest of 1 lemon
- 150 ml milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
For the filling
- 4 egg whites plus as pinch of salt
- 500 g ground walnuts , split into two portions of 300 g and 200 g
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- several tablespoons your favourite marmalade
- 200 g sugar
Rate & Comment on this this Recipe
- First, make the dough: heat milk until warm, add dry yeast with a pinch of sugar and leave to dissolve, for 5 minutes. Beat butter with egg yolks and sour cream. Add yeast mixture, lemon zest, 1 teaspoon salt and sifted flour. Knead until soft dough forms. Cover in plastic wrap and leave in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Make the filling: beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beat until shiny. In the end, add finely ground 200 g walnuts and cinnamon.
- Take your dough, divide in 4 equal pieces and roll each one out on well-floured surface, into a rectangle. Brush each rectangle generously with marmalade and sprinkle with ground walnuts. Roll longer rectangle sides towards the middle, but leave a tiny space in between. Put walnut-egg white mixture into that tiny space. Place all 4 rolled up strudels onto a baking sheet covered with baking paper.
- Preheat oven to 200°C and bake until nicely golden. When cooled, sprinkle with some icing sugar and cut into pieces.
Like this recipe?Follow us @csoftwareaustra