The best way to use up those bananas that have been sitting around for too long and gone black is to mash them and bake into a cake, or in this case, super-moist banana muffins. Add to that a delicious streusel topping of chocolate chips and walnuts and you have a pure decadent delight.
- ¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup brown sugar , packed
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts , optional
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1½ cups plain flour (all-purpose flour)
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1½ cups mashed very ripe bananas , about 3 large
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 175°C. Line a muffin tin with liners or spray.
- Stir chocolate chips, brown sugar, walnuts, and cinnamon in small bowl until well blended; set streusel aside.
- Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into medium bowl.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg and blend well. Beat in mashed bananas and buttermilk. Slowly add dry ingredients until just incorporated. Don't over-mix.
- Scoop batter into muffin tins (⅔ full) Top with streusel. Bake for 12 - 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool and serve.