Make a dozen of these moist muffins Sunday morning to stave off early morning hunger pangs. Or, better still, set out the ingredients the night before with the recipe and let the first person up bake a batch for everyone.
- 2 cups mashed bananas
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1½ cups plain flour (all-purpose flour)
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup chopped dates
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In medium bowl, beat together bananas, butter, egg, vanilla and orange rind.
- In large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add dates and pecans; toss lightly. Pour in banana mixture and stir just until combined. Spoon batter into 12 greased or paper-lined muffin cups.
- Bake muffins in 180°C oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until risen and firm to the touch. Let cool on wire racks. (Store in airtight containers for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.)
- To reheat, place frozen muffins in paper bag and warm in 150°C oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through.