The pie itself is considered iconic in Australia and New Zealand and is similar to the United Kingdom’s steak pie.
- It was described by former New South Wales Premier Bob Carr in 2003 as Australia’s “national dish”.
- New Zealanders regard the meat pie as a part of New Zealand cuisine, and it forms part of the New Zealand national identity.
Servings: 6 meat pies
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 400 g beef mince (ground beef)
- 1 tablespoon cornflour (cornstarch)
- ¾ cup beef stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Vegemite
- 4 sheets frozen ready-rolled pie pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 small pie tins & baking tray
- tomato sauce
Rate & Comment on this this Recipe
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and fry for 3-4 minutes or until soft and translucent.
- Add beef mince and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring and breaking up with a wooden spoon until browned.
- Combine cornflour and 1 tablespoon of beef stock and stir well. Set aside.
- Add remaining beef stock, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste and Vegemite to beef. Stir well to combine. Add cornflour mixture and stir. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes or until thick. Remove from heat and cool.
- Preheat oven to 220°C. (425°F ; Gas Mark 7 -8) .
- Place a pie tin on pastry and cut a circle around it. Repeat process to make another 3 circles -- these are the pie tops. Set aside.
- Place pie tin on pastry again and cut a circle that's slightly larger than tin (about 1¼ cm (½") bigger) -- this is the pie base. Repeat process to make another 3 bases.
- Press base pastry into pie tins and press up the sides. Fill with meat mixture. Brush rims with water.
- Place pie tops over meat. Use a fork to press edges to seal. Trim edges if necessary. Brush tops with egg.
- Place pies on to a baking tray and bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Serve with tomato sauce.
Serving: 1pie | Calories: 1125kcal | Carbohydrates: 78g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 78g | Saturated Fat: 21g | Cholesterol: 74mg | Sodium: 621mg | Potassium: 469mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 120IU | Vitamin C: 2.9mg | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 6.1mg
Like this recipe?Follow us @csoftwareaustra