This Mexican red rice dish is a wonderful on its own or as a side for beef fajitas.
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1½ tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced or finely chopped
- 1 small serrano chilli, finely chopped
- 440 g can diced or chopped tomatoes
- 1¼ cups chicken stock
- 150 g cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 sprig fresh coriander, finely chopped (optional)
- basil leaves
- grated Parmesan cheese
Rate & Comment on this this Recipe
- Place rice in a bowl and cover with water by 2cm. Swirl around to rinse, and discard the water. Repeat the rinsing twice then drain well in a colander. Allow the rinsed rice to drain for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add rice and cook, stirring, 2 minutes; then increase heat to medium and cook until the rice starts to brown, 6 - 8 minutes, stirring often.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, purée onion, garlic, chilli, and chopped tomatoes.
- Add tomato purée to rice, increase heat to high, and cook, stirring, until the purée has been mostly absorbed, about 3 minutes (it will bubble and spatter).
- Stir in chicken stock, cherry tomatoes, fresh coriander (if using), and salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until all liquid is absorbed, 15 - 20 minutes.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with basil leaves and parmesan cheese
You can add vegetables such as potatoes, carrots, peas and some dried fruits such as raisins, almonds or walnuts.
Like this recipe?Follow us @csoftwareaustra