Stuffed Capsicum are found in many cuisines, each having a different filling making them distinct to each. This version is the Persian-style.
Dolmeh-yeh Felfel - Persian-style Stuffed Capsicum
- 10 - 12 large capsicums
- 50 g parsley <em> (see notes</em>)
- 50 g chives <em> (see notes</em>)
- 50 g mint <em> (see notes</em>)
- 50 g tarragon <em> (see notes</em>)
- 50 g dill tips <em> (see notes</em>)
- ¾ cup oil
- 1 onion
- 300 g lamb mince
- 1½ tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 cup yellow split peas
- 1 cup rice
- Cut the tops off the capsicums in a circle to make a lid. Scrape out the seeds and pith very carefully. Avoid making any cuts or holes in the body of the capsicum. Put the lids back on each capsicum and leave aside.
- If you are using fresh herbs, clean and wash the herbs. Drain and put in a tea towel for further draining. Chop the herbs finely and stir-fry very lightly in ¼ cup of oil for 1–2 minutes.
- Chop the onion into small pieces and fry in ¼ cup of oil in a large frying pan. Add the minced lamb and stir-fry. When the liquid from the meat is evaporated, dissolve the tomato paste in ¼ cup water and add to the pan. Add ½ tsp salt and the pepper, cook for 2 minutes and put aside.
- Wash the yellow split peas. Place in a saucepan with 1½ cups of warm water and about ½ tsp salt, and cook for about 15 to 20 minutes <em><u>(do not allow it to go too soft)</u></em>.
- Meanwhile, wash the rice and cook with 1½ cups water and about ½ tsp salt over low heat for about 10 minutes until there is no water left.
- Mix the cooked meat, chopped herbs, cooked rice and split peas. Test for salt and, if necessary, add extra. Fill the capsicums one by one, and put their own lids back on. Put the capsicums tightly next to each other in a saucepan.
- Pour the remaining ¼ cup of oil and 1½ cups water all over the capsicums. Cook on medium heat for 5–6 minutes, then on low for an extra 20 minutes.
- Place the capsicums carefully in a serving dish and serve.