Inspired by Mexican green rice which uses a spicy herb paste of coriander, parsley and poblano chilli to tint the grains a verdant colour, we bring you this zesty, high-fibre brown rice salad brimming with nutritious vegetables. Served with boiled eggs and avocado wedges encrusted with a herby sunflower seed crust, this vegetarian dish includes all the nutrient powerhouses for the ultimate superfood dinner.
Here’s What You Need[one_half]300 g basmati rice
2 cloves garlic
¼ cup coriander
¼ cup parsley
400 g kale
60 g pepitas
200 g green beans
2 limes[/one_half][one_half_last]500 g broccoli
2 litres (8 cups) water
4 tablespoons olive oil
sea salt and pepper
½ teaspoon sugar[/one_half_last]
Here’s What You Do
- Rinse the rice well in a sieve under cold water. Put in a medium saucepan with the water, cover with a lid and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and cook for 12 minutes or until tender. Drain in a sieve.
- While rice is cooking, crush or finely chop garlic. Remove kale leaves from stems and thinly slice. Put pepitas in a cold large fry-pan over medium heat. Toast, tossing, for 3 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove from pan and cool. Heat one tablespoon oil and cook garlic and kale for 2 minutes or until kale wilts. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Trim the ends of the green beans, then cut into 2 cm lengths. Cut the broccoli into small florets, then peel and chop the stalk. Quarter and peel the avocado. Finely grate the lime rind and squeeze the juice.
- Put the egg in a large saucepan of lightly salted water, and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 3 minutes . Add the broccoli and cook for 1 minute, then add the green beans and cook for a further 2 minutes or until tender. Drain and immediately refresh in a large sieve under cold water. Drain well again.
- Finely chop the pepitas and put half in a bowl. Finely chop the coriander and parsley, including the stems. Add to the bowl with the lime zest, lime juice, sugar, salt and pepper. Mix well to combine. Peel the egg and cut in half.
- Add the rice to the kale, then add the broccoli, green beans and half the dressing. Mix well to combine and divide among bowls. Combine the remaining oil, remaining pepitas and remaining dressing in another bowl. Coat each avocado wedge with the pepita mixture to form a crust. Top rice salad with avocado and egg, and serve with any remaining pepita mixture.