A side dish full of colour and flavour. Crunchy carrots, zingy coriander leaves, sesame seeds, and a tangy citrus dressing come together in this easy to make salad.
- 6 medium carrots, washed and peeled ( sliced or cut into fine ribbons, matchsticks or batons)
- 1½ large handfuls fresh coriander, leaves picked
- 1 large red chilli, deseeded, cut into strips lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon sesame or poppy seeds, toasted
For the citrus dressing
- zest and juice of 1 orange
- 2 lemons
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Put sliced carrot, coriander leaves, sliced chilli, and toasted sesame seeds into a bowl and mix to combine
To make the citrus dressing
- Finely grate the zest of the orange into a bowl.
- Add the orange juice, the juice of 1½ lemons and the extra virgin olive oil.
- Pound your toasted sesame seeds to a pulp in a mortar and pestle , then add to the dressing.
- Mix well, then season to taste with salt, pepper and possibly more lemon juice to make it nice and tangy (you should be able to taste the citrus in the dressing).
- Pour the dressing over the salad and serve immediately. (Once the salad is dressed, the flavour of the lemon will diminish so it is best to be made just prior to using)