A Bun kebab consists of a spicy patty which is shallow-fried, onions, and chutney and/or raita in a hamburger or hot dog bun. The beef and egg bun kebab is the most popular, especially with the street vendors.
Unlike a hamburger patty, the bun kebab is mixed with ground lentils, ground cumin, and an egg batter into a mixture which is then fried in ghee or oil. One may find bun kebab at vendor stalls throughout Pakistan, with regional differences evident. A bun kebab can also be served with a fried egg or omelette (known as ‘anda shami’).
- 3 tablespoon ghee
- 1 onion (finely chopped (plus extra, sliced, to serve))
- 500 g minced lamb
- ½ cup canned lentils (drained, rinsed)
- 1 green chilli (finely chopped, plus extra, sliced, to serve)
- 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 cm piece fresh ginger (finely grated)
- 10 cm piece fresh ginger (finely shredded)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- vegetable oil (to shallow-fry)
- 4 sesame-seed hamburger bun (halved)
- ½ cup tamarind chutney
- sliced tomato (to serve)
- sliced cucumber (to serve)
- 4 eggs (fried, to serve)
- Place 1 tablespoon of ghee in a frying pan over medium heat. Add chopped onion and cook, stirring, for 6 minutes or until softened. Remove from heat and cool.
- Place cooked onions, lamb, lentils, chopped chilli, garlic, cumin, grated ginger and cinnamon in a food processor, season with salt and pepper and process mixture to a paste.
- Add egg and pulse to combine. Using damp hands, shape into 4 patties and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat 1 cm oil in a frying pan over medium heat until hot. Add shredded ginger and cook for 2 minutes or until crisp and golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of ghee in a frying pan over medium heat. Add patties and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until just cooked through. Remove and keep warm.
- Wipe pan, add remaining ghee and cook buns for 2 minutes or until toasted.
- Spread bun bases with chutney, top with patties, tomato, cucumber, extra onion, fried eggs, chilli, crispy ginger and bun tops. Serve immediately.