A Bun kebab consists of a spicy patty which is shallow-fried, onions, and chutney and/or raita in a hamburger or hot dog bun. The beef and egg bun kebab is the most popular, especially with the street vendors.
Unlike a hamburger patty, the bun kebab is mixed with ground lentils, ground cumin, and an egg batter into a mixture which is then fried in ghee or oil. One may find bun kebab at vendor stalls throughout Pakistan, with regional differences evident. A bun kebab can also be served with a fried egg or omelette (known as ‘anda shami’).
- 3 tablespoon ghee
- 1 onion, finely chopped (plus extra, sliced, to serve)
- 500 g minced lamb
- ½ cup canned lentils, drained, rinsed
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped, plus extra, sliced, to serve
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 cm piece ginger, finely grated
- 10 cm piece ginger, finely shredded
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- vegetable oil, to shallow-fry
- 4 burger buns, halved
- ½ cup tamarind chutney
- sliced tomato, to serve
- sliced cucumber, to serve
- 4 eggs, fried, to serve
- Place 1 tablespoon of ghee in a frying pan over medium heat. Add chopped onion and cook, stirring, for 6 minutes or until softened. Remove from heat and cool.
- Place cooked onions, lamb, lentils, chopped chilli, garlic, cumin, grated ginger and cinnamon in a food processor, season with salt and pepper and process mixture to a paste.
- Add egg and pulse to combine. Using damp hands, shape into 4 patties and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat 1 cm oil in a frying pan over medium heat until hot. Add shredded ginger and cook for 2 minutes or until crisp and golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of ghee in a frying pan over medium heat. Add patties and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until just cooked through. Remove and keep warm.
- Wipe pan, add remaining ghee and cook buns for 2 minutes or until toasted.
- Spread bun bases with chutney, top with patties, tomato, cucumber, extra onion, fried eggs, chilli, crispy ginger and bun tops. Serve immediately.
Cooks Notes & Variations
Rate this Recipe