A Bun kebab consists of a spicy patty which is shallow-fried, onions, and chutney and/or raita in a hamburger or hot dog bun. The beef and egg bun kebab is the most popular, especially with the street vendors.
Unlike a hamburger patty, the bun kebab is mixed with ground lentils, ground cumin, and an egg batter into a mixture which is then fried in ghee or oil. One may find bun kebab at vendor stalls throughout Pakistan, with regional differences evident. A bun kebab can also be served with a fried egg or omelette (known as ‘anda shami’).
- 3 tablespoon ghee
- 1 onion, finely chopped (plus extra, sliced, to serve)
- 500 g minced lamb
- ½ cup canned lentils, drained, rinsed
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped, plus extra, sliced, to serve
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 cm piece fresh ginger, finely grated
- 10 cm piece fresh ginger, finely shredded
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- vegetable oil, to shallow-fry
- 4 sesame-seed hamburger bun, halved
- ½ cup tamarind chutney
- sliced tomato, to serve
- sliced cucumber, to serve
- 4 eggs, fried, to serve
- Place 1 tablespoon of ghee in a frying pan over medium heat. Add chopped onion and cook, stirring, for 6 minutes or until softened. Remove from heat and cool.
- Place cooked onions, lamb, lentils, chopped chilli, garlic, cumin, grated ginger and cinnamon in a food processor, season with salt and pepper and process mixture to a paste.
- Add egg and pulse to combine. Using damp hands, shape into 4 patties and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat 1 cm oil in a frying pan over medium heat until hot. Add shredded ginger and cook for 2 minutes or until crisp and golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of ghee in a frying pan over medium heat. Add patties and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until just cooked through. Remove and keep warm.
- Wipe pan, add remaining ghee and cook buns for 2 minutes or until toasted.
- Spread bun bases with chutney, top with patties, tomato, cucumber, extra onion, fried eggs, chilli, crispy ginger and bun tops. Serve immediately.
Related Recipes and Culinary Information
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.