Hawawshi is a famous traditional Egyptian dish very similar to the Middle Eastern pizza-like Lahmacun. It is a meat minced and spiced with onions, pepper, parsley and sometimes hot peppers or chillies. The ingredients are placed between two circular layers of dough, then baked in an oven.
Hawawshi is commonly made in Egyptian homes and is also served in some restaurants, usually as a take-away.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. (400°F ; Gas Mark 6). Chop the vegetables finely.
- Mix the meat, vegetables, coriander, allspice and chillies together in a large bowl. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Cut pockets into the pita breads and divide the mixture equally between the pitas.
- Brush the pittas with melted butter and wrap each pitta individually in aluminium foil.
- Bake in the oven at 200°C. (400°F ; Gas Mark 6) for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before unwrapping. Enjoy!
Rate this Recipe