- 1 fresh whole abalone, ; if frozen defrost thoroughly in fridge before using
- 2 cups pitted dried black dates, thinly sliced
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh fenugreek, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- 1 spring onion (scallion), finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- coriander sprigs, to garnish
- 1 large foil roasting bag
- Preheat oven to 190°C. (375°F ; Gas Mark 5). Grease inside of roasting bag and put it on a heatproof baking sheet.
- Using a food processor, blend butter, coriander, parsley, fenugreek, chives, spring onion, black pepper and paprika for about 3 minutes using the pulse button. Do not over process. The butter should be speckled with the herbs.
- Spoon the butter onto a plate and allow to set. Cut butter into ½ cm chunks. Set aside.
- Wash abalone, place inside the roasting bag and top with the dates and chunks of butter.
- Carefully roll up the bag opening in the direction of the top of the bag to keep in the heat, prevent the juices from leaking and to ensure a good blending of flavours.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes or if using a barbecue, follow the barbecue's manual directions for foil baking fish according to weight.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander sprigs, accompanied by a salad.
Like this recipe?Follow us @csoftwareaustra