Abalone has a great flavour for those that love shellfish. This creamy seafood chowder recipe is a great way to enjoy abalone.
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup flour
- salt, to taste
- pinch ground nutmeg
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cream
- ¼ cup sherry
- In a large saucepan, put the oil and butter mix. When mixture is hot, add all of the vegetables and saute them until they are lightly brown.
- Add the chopped abalone and the fish stock, and then bring to the boil.
- Add the diced potatoes and let the chowder simmer while you prepare the following cream sauce.
For cream sauce
- In a separate saucepan, melt butter. Add the flour, then blend it in thoroughly.
- Add salt to taste, a pinch of nutmeg, and cayenne pepper. Let simmer for 2 minutes.
- Mix the cream and milk together, add to the flour mixture and heat gently, mixing constantly. When smooth, add Sherry.
- Add this cream sauce to the simmering chowder. Bring to a quick boil, stirring well.
- Serve with chunks of French Bread.