Although the original recipe calls for crayfish, prawn chupe has become more widely eaten, as fresh or frozen prawn become more common.
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced brown onion
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 125 ml, ½ cup white wine
- 2 litres, 8 cups fish stock
- 125 ml, ½ cup cream
- 8 slices sandwich bread
- 250 ml , 1 cup milk
- 12 - 16 clams, cleaned
- 12 - 16 mussels, cleaned
- 150 g crab meat
- 150 g medium prawns, cleaned and deveined
- 8 large prawns, cleaned and deveined, leaving the heads on
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- finely chopped fresh mint or parsley
- chilli flakes (red pepper flakes)
- fresh lemon segments
- Pour the milk in a large bowl and dip the sliced bread. Allow to soak for an hour.
- Heat oven to 230°C. Place the medium-sized prawns on an oven tray and cook for 10-15 minutes. (Do not overcook, ideally they should be a nice pink colour.) Remove from the oven and set aside.
- In a large stockpot, heat the olive oil over medium heat and cook the onions and garlic until they are translucent, soft and fragrant. Turn the heat to high and add the wine. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon, scraping any brown bits that may have formed at the bottom, and continue stirring occasionally to reduce the liquid by half.
- Add the fish stock and continue to boil for a few minutes.
- Add the milk with the bread to the pot along with the cream and stir constantly until the broth has thickened. Add the cleaned seafood and both the cooked and raw prawns, cover the pot and allow to cook for 5 minutes or until the clams and mussels have opened and the large prawns have turned pink. Season to taste with salt and ground black pepper.
- Serve in bowls with chopped herbs, chilli flakes, and lemon segments.
Rate this Recipe
Serving: 0g | Calories: 0kcal | Carbohydrates: 0g | Protein: 0g | Fat: 0g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 0mg | Potassium: 0mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 0IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 0mg | Iron: 0mg