Creamy Mussel Chowder
Chowder is traditionally a hearty bowl of food and our simple Creamy Mussel Chowder is easy to make and an enjoyable way to enjoy your seafood.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Servings: 6Print Recipe Rate this Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 kg mussels
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small leek, sliced thinly
- 2 large potatoes, chopped finely
- 2 trimmed sticks celery, chopped finely
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 cups fish stock
- 2 cups water
- 30 g butter
- 2 tablespoons plain flour (all-purpose flour)
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- Scrub mussels under cold running water; remove beards.
- Heat oil in large saucepan; cook leek, potato and celery, stirring, until leek softens. Add wine; boil, uncovered, until wine reduces by half. Add stock and the water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, about 20 minutes or until potato is tender.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in small saucepan; cook flour, stirring, 1 minute. Add milk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, stirring, until sauce thickens.
- Blend or process half of the chowder mixture, in batches, until smooth. Return to pan with remaining chowder; stir in sauce.
- Add mussels to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer chowder, covered, about 5 minutes or until all mussels open (discard any that do not). Serve in bowls; sprinkle with herbs.
Rate this Recipe