This refreshing salad is all about the texture – crisp green apple and bean sprouts with firm squid pieces inside lettuce leaf cups.
- 650 g loligo squid, cleaned (see notes)
- 1 lime, zest finely grated, juiced
- 1 medium red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 Granny Smith apple , see notes
- 1 cup bean sprouts, trimmed
- ¼ cup fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 spring onions (scallions), finely sliced on the diagonal
- 12 baby cos lettuce leaves
- 1½ tablespoons lime juice
- 1½ tablespoons fish sauce
- 1½ tablespoons grated palm sugar , see notes
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
Rate & Comment on this this Recipe
- Cut squid hoods down one side and open out flat. Score the inside of the flesh with angled cuts, turn the hoods around and repeat so that the cuts form a crosshatched pattern. Slice into bite-sized pieces. Cut tentacles into sections. Combine lime juice and zest, chilli and garlic. Toss through squid, cover and set aside to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat a barbecue or char-grill plate until very hot.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing by combining all of the ingredients in a large bowl.
- Barbecue squid, in batches if necessary, until it just turns white. Remove from grill and toss with dressing. Set aside to cool.
- Cut apple into thin matchsticks and mix through squid with bean sprouts, coriander, mint and spring onion.
- Spoon squid mixture into lettuce leaves and serve.
- Seafood substitutes - Cuttlefish, Gould's Squid, or Octopus (omit scoring, cut into quarters).
- Apple substitutes - When Granny Smiths are not available, use another firm apple suitable for cooking and baking. To name a few: Golden Delicious, Jonagold, Jonathan, and Braeburn. For more complex flavour, try a mixture of two or three different varieties.
- Palm Sugar substitute - Maple sugar or brown sugar blended with a little maple syrup to moisten
Like this recipe?Follow us @csoftwareaustra