The filling may be as hot (devilish) as you like; just vary the amount of chillies added to the filling. Grilled fresh tuna gives the best results, but you may use high-quality canned tuna in a pinch. The pastry is a blend of cooked and puréed sweet potato, mixed with fine polenta.
Pastel Com o Diabo Dentro - Cape Verdean Pastry with the Devil Inside
For pastry (makes sixteen x 8 cm circles)
- 1 large sweet potato, unpeeled, cooked until very tender, and puréed to a smooth paste
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1¾ tablespoon melted butter
- 2 - 3 cups fine polenta, as needed to form a dough
For filling (makes enough for 16 pastries)
- 1¾ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 hot chilli peppers, minced, or to taste
- 450 g fresh tuna fillet or steak, grilled to medium rare and cooled and sliced
- 2 plum tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- minced chives, for garnish
- Mix the sweet potato purée in a large bowl with the egg yolk and melted butter. Mix in enough polenta to form a stiff dough. Add a few spoonfuls of the cooking water from the sweet potatoes if necessary.
- Form the dough into a ball and chill for one hour.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat and sauté the onion until transparent. Add the garlic and saute another 30 seconds, then add the chillies and cook 2 minutes.
- Toss with the tuna, tomatoes, and salt. Allow the mixture to cool and reserve.
- On a lightly floured surface roll the dough out 3 mm thick. Cut the dough into sixteen x 8 cm circles.
- Place 2 teaspoons of the filling slightly off centre of each circle and fold over to enclose the filling. Press the edges firmly to seal. Reserve, covered and refrigerated. <em>(The pastéis can be made several hours in advance.)</em>
To cook the pastéis
- Heat the vegetable oil to 185°C and fry, in batches, 3 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels, and keep warm until ready to serve.
- Serve each person 2 turnovers, cut in half, garnished with minced chives.
Rate this Recipe