This hearty bean salad provides a colourful addition to any meal. Try it with grilled chicken at your next barbecue.
Author: The Cook
Recipe type: Salad
Cuisine: Modern Australian
Serves / Yield: 4 - 6 servings
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- ¾ tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ cups fresh lima beans
- 1 cup fresh black-eyed beans
- 225 g smoked bacon hock
- 1 cup fresh peas
- 225 g yellow butter (wax) beans
- 225 g sugar snap peas
- ½ cup chopped almonds
- For the dressing, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, garlic, shallot, and thyme in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Place lima beans, black-eyed beans, and bacon hock in a medium saucepan; cover with water. Simmer, covered, until almost tender, 15 - 20 minutes.
- Add peas and simmer until peas and beans are tender, 8 - 10 minutes.
- Discard bacon hock. Drain and run under cold water to cool.
- Cook butter beans and sugar snaps in boiling salted water in a medium saucepan until crisp tender, 1 - 2 minutes. Drain and run under cold water to cool.
- Add beans, peas, and almonds to dressing, and toss to combine.