These pickles are served as side dish on a lot of Danish lunch dishes and as topping on smørrebrød.
Agurk Salat - Danish Pickled Cucumber Salad
- 1 whole seedless cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 ½ cups white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons chopped dill
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Using a sharp knife, thinly slice the entire cucumber.
- Place the sliced cucumber in a bowl and toss with the coarse salt. The salt will help suck out the liquid from the cucumber flesh.
- Put a small plate on top of the cucumbers in the bowl and weigh it down with a jar or other weighted object.
- After about 2 hours, you will notice that the cucumber slices are basically sitting in a bowl of salty water. Drain the salty water, squeezing out as much excess liquid as possible <em>(without crushing the cucumber)</em>.
- Combine vinegar and sugar, heating slightly if necessary to dissolve. Make sure to cool thoroughly before adding to sliced cucumbers.
- Pour in the vinegar/sugar and stir in the chopped dill. Allow the mixture to sit in the refrigerator for a couple of hours <em>(or overnight)</em> before using to allow the flavours to blend.