Put together in just 15 minutes, this refreshing salad is perfect for a light lunch or an elegant side dish to accompany any main dish. Gluten-free and diabetic appropriate this salad is a great all-rounder for your health.
Baby Beet, Red Onion, and Mandarin Salad
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- ¾ tablespoon olive oil
- 120 g mixed salad leaves
- 250 g cooked whole baby beets, drained and cut into quarters
- ¾ cup mandarin segments, pith removed
- ½ cup thinly slivered red onion
- 30 g reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons sliced blanched almonds, skins left on if possible
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together the white balsamic vinegar and olive oil; set aside.
- Divide greens equally between two serving plates ( or 3 - 4 plates if using as a side dish)
- Top with baby beet wedges, mandarin segments, red onion, feta, and almonds.
- Drizzle with reserved dressing. Serve as a light meal or side dish.
How to :
- Place uncooked baby beets (peeled and cut in half) in a large pot of boiling salted water. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until beets are tender when pierced with a knife, 15 to 20 minutes; drain. When cool enough to handle, cut each baby beet half into 3 wedges. Set aside.
Cooks Notes & Variations
- Peel the mandarin segments of as much of the pith, or better still peel each of the thin skin, if possible.
Rate this Recipe