The delicious combination of red cabbage and chestnuts is a common in France and goes well with pork chops or with pork sausages.
- Preheat the oven to warm 170°C
- Line a large flameproof casserole dish with the bacon slices. Add the cabbage, then the onions, garlic and seasoning.
- Moisten with the wine and stock and bring to the boil.
- Stir in the chestnuts, cover and put into the oven.
- Braise for 2 to 2½ hours, or until the cabbage is cooked through and most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from the oven and serve at once.
Don't be tempted to remove the bacon fat as the flavour just isn't the same.