[/su_brhrbr]This tasty and healthy thick Persian soup, or Āsh, is chock full of nutrients and fibre. A mix of pearl barley and vegetables, ash-e jow is slow-simmered to make a rich, nourishing, rib-sticking dish
Ash-e Jow - Persian Barley Soup
This tasty and healthy thick Persian soup, or Āsh, is chock full of nutrients and fibre. A mix of pearl barley and vegetables, ash-e jow is slow-simmered to make a rich, nourishing, rib-sticking dish.
Print Recipe Rate this Recipe Pin Recipe
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours 10 minutes
- 2 litres chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 lime, juiced
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup diced carrots
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup chopped Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- 8 lime wedges
- Heat the chicken stock in a pot to a gentle simmer.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat and saute the onion until translucent.
- Add the pearl barley to the pot and stir for one minute. Stir in the hot chicken stock, turmeric, lime juice, tomato paste, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 1 hour.
- Mix in the carrots and continue simmering 30 minutes or until the soup has thickened and the carrots and barley are tender. If the soup is too thick, add hot water, one tablespoon at a time.
- Place the sour cream in a small bowl. Slowly pour ½ cup of hot soup mixture into sour cream, whisking constantly. Gradually add the sour cream mixture into the soup pot, whisking constantly.
- Stir in the fresh parsley. Serve with fresh lime wedges.
Rate this Recipe
Serving: 0g | Calories: 0kcal | Carbohydrates: 0g | Protein: 0g | Fat: 0g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 0mg | Potassium: 0mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 0IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 0mg | Iron: 0mg