A quick and delicious comfort food made with frozen corn, potatoes and bacon. This Bacon, corn and potato chowder recipe is easy to make and a great winter warmer.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 250 g bacon rashers, rind removed, diced
- 1 tablespoon plain flour (all-purpose flour)
- 4 cups reduced-salt chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 500 g Desiree potatoes, peeled, cut into 2cm cubes
- 500 g frozen corn kernels
- 250 g block light cream cheese, cut into pieces
- Salt and white pepper, to season
- Heat oil in a large deep saucepan over a medium heat. Add onion and bacon. Cook for 5 minutes or until tender and light golden. Sprinkle flour over onion mixture and stir until well combined. Remove pan from heat and slowly add stock and water, stirring constantly. Return pan to heat.
- Add potato and corn to pan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 8 minutes or until potato is tender. Add cream cheese and stir until melted. Pulse with a stick blender, in 10-second bursts, to puree a little of soup, if preferred. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and serve.