A thick and nourishing soup with a sweet, nutty flavour that makes it perfect for cold winter nights.
- 500 g peeled chestnuts
- 1½ litres beef stock
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 60 g butter
- ½ cup light cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- butter fried bread croutons
- Prepare chestnuts and peel, after boiling in hot water for 10 minutes.
- Cook chestnuts with stock and celery for about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, saute apple slices in the butter with a good sprinkling of stock.
- Puree chestnuts, celery and apple with the stock and pan juices from the apples. Add salt and pepper. Stir in cream.
- If soup is too thick, dilute with a little boiling water or stock. Adjust seasonings.
- Serve very hot with croutons.