Chorba od Janjetina - Lamb Vegetable Soup
This hearty Croatian / Serbian soup is a made with lamb shanks or meaty lamb bones and the classic Mediterranean trio of green capsicums, onions and tomatoes and then creamed.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
Servings: 8Print Recipe Pin Recipe Rate this Recipe
- 1 kg lamb shanks, shoulder or necks, cut into large pieces
- 4 litres water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large parsley root, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium green capsicum (bell pepper), pepper, chopped
- 1½ tablespoons flour
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ground paprika, to taste
- 2 egg yolks
- 225 g sour cream
- chopped Italian (flat-leaf) parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Place the lamb pieces into a saucepan or stockpot with water and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, carefully skimming off any foam that develops.
- Reduce heat to simmer, add parlsey root, carrots, celery, garlic and tomatoes. Continue to simmer until the meat is tender (about 2 hours).
- When the meat is tender prepare a roux by heating the oil in a medium saucepan. Add the onions and green capsicum, and saute until tender.
- Add flour gradually, stirring constantly until light brown. Season with salt, pepper and paprika to taste.
- Temper the roux by adding a little hot soup to it and stirring constantly until smooth. Pour the roux back into the soup pot, mixing thoroughly and simmering until incorporated (about 15 minutes). Turn heat off and remove soup from heat.
- Beat egg yolks until thick. Add sour cream and mix thoroughly. Temper the egg yolks with a little hot soup, stirring constantly until smooth. Pour the tempered egg yolks into the soup, stirring until the soup has thickened slightly.
- Remove bay leaves, garnish (if using) and serve.
Rate this Recipe