Although of Tunisian and Algerian origin, spicy merguez sausages are quite popular in Morocco. Some butchers boast their own signature merguez spice blend, while others prepare the sausages with a commercial mix instead. Here is a traditional merguez blend recipe.
- ¼ cup sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons ground fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons icing sugar (powdered sugar), optional, for a sweet contrast
- Measure all ingredients into a bowl and stir to combine. Sift once, stir again and transfer to an airtight container for storage.