Mushrooms add plenty of flavour to the roast chicken and you have crunchy little stuffing balls for serving on the side. This is a quick and easy stuffing recipe.
Mixed Mushroom Stuffing for Roast Chicken
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely sliced
- 500 g mixed mushrooms , such as shiitake, oyster, button etc, cleaned - large ones chopped up, small ones torn
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 1 lemon
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup pine nuts
- 1 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 1 whole roasting chicken, about 1.5kg
- Preheat oven to 240°C.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for about 10 minutes until soft and translucent (not coloured). Add the mushrooms with the leaves from a few of the thyme sprigs. Turn the heat up to high and fry for 5 to 10 minutes until the mushrooms go slightly crispy. Remove from the heat, grate in the zest of the lemon and season well. Place into a bowl and set aside to cool.
- Once the mixture has cooled, mix in the pine nuts and breadcrumbs, then add the egg.
Stuffing the Chicken
- Carefully, push your fingers between the meat and skin on the top of the chicken then gently create a pocket for the stuffing.
- Push a quarter of the stuffing into this pocket and roll the remaining mixture into balls and set aside.
- Cut the zested lemon in half and place in the chicken cavity with the remaining thyme sprigs.
- Place chicken in a roasting tray, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Cooking the Stuffed Chicken
- Place chicken into the preheated oven and turn the heat down to 200°C.
- Cook for 40 minutes, remove tray from oven and add your mushroom stuffing balls to the tray.
- Return to the oven and cook for a further 35 minutes until chicken is a golden colour. ( To check your chicken is cooked, stick a skewer into the fattest part of the thigh – if the juices run clear, your chicken is done. )
- Leave to rest for 10 to 15 minutes, covered loosely with tin foil, then serve with roast vegetables and greens of your choice.
Rate this Recipe