Add colour and texture to your next cold meat dish with a bowl of homemade pickled Beetroot and Broccoli Stems on the side. A very easy pickle to make with simple ingredients.
- 12 broccoli stems, trimmed
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 4 small - medium beetroots, trimmed, peeled and quartered, room temp
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup rice wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup plus 1½ tablespoons sugar
- 2-3 thin slices peeled fresh ginger
- Remove tough stringy outer layer of broccoli stems using a sharp knife or vegetable peeler. Stems will be about 1 cm in diameter and 10 - 12 cm in length.
- Blanch stems for 15 seconds in medium-sized pot of boiling water. Transfer stems to a small bowl and season with ¼ teaspoon salt, coating thoroughly; set aside for 30 minutes. <em>(Keep the water boiling.)</em>
- Blanch beetroots for 30 seconds in boiling water. Transfer beets to separate small bowl. Season with remaining ½ teaspoon salt, coating thoroughly; set aside 30 minutes.
- Make the pickling solution by adding water, rice vinegar, sugar, and ginger to a medium-sized saucepan. Cook over a medium-high heat until the sugar has dissolved, stirring occasionally<em> (about 2 minutes)</em>. Pour into large non-metallic bowl.
- Combine broccoli stems and beetroot pieces with pickling brine. Transfer all to a suitable sized container.
- When cool, cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hours before using.
Cooks Notes & Variations
Rate this Recipe