This is good hot or room temperature – try eating it cold with a glob of sour cream. The key addition to this salad is caraway seed, it pairs well with the cabbage and it seems to be standard.
- ½ head of cabbage
- salt and boiling water <em>, or 2-3 tablespoons of butter </em>
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons vinegar <em>, white, red wine or cider</em>
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons caraway seed
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Slice cabbage, you can rough chop it or slice it thinly. Add a good pinch of salt. Cover the cabbage in boiling water and allow to soak for 15 minutes. Once its softened drain the liquid and combine with the dressing.
- To make the dressing simply combine ingredients and stir until combined. Mix with cooked bacon and pour over cabbage, toss to combine.