Italian-style marinated vegetable salads are a popular accompaniment for Brazilian churrasco (barbequed meats). But these vegetables are also great on sandwiches or with pasta, and they keep for up to a week in the refrigerator (and even improve with age). You can add other vegetables to the mix, such as sliced eggplant (aubergine), and sliced capsicums (bell peppers). Olives and capers are nice additions as well.
- ¾ cups olive oil <em>, more if needed to store</em>
- 4 medium-large zucchini, thinly slices
- 2 medium onions, thinly slices
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ - 1 teaspoon chilli flakes (red pepper flakes), or to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Thinly slice the zucchini crosswise. Peel and thinly slice the onions. Peel and mince the garlic.
- Place 4 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. sauté the zucchini and garlic for 2 minutes only.
- Place the sauteed vegetables in a Pyrex dish with the oil from the skillet. Add the remaining ingredients and the rest of the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Put in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. Serve with fresh bread.