Our Leek and Sweet Potato Gratin recipe has everything you expect in an oven-baked potato gratin but switches things up with tender leeks, sliced sweet potatoes and ham. This cheesy sweet potato casserole is everything you want in a side dish… plus a bit more.
Leek and Sweet Potato Gratin
- 125 ml chicken stock
- 200 ml double cream
- 150 ml milk
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 bay leaf , optional
- 400 g sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 400 g potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (can be substituted for extra sweet potato)
- 2 leeks, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 175 g sliced ham, chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 100 g grated cheddar cheese
- butter, for greasing
- Pour the stock, cream and milk into a small saucepan, add the garlic and bay leaf and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat, cover and let the flavours infuse while continuing dish.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Butter a 2 litre gratin dish well.
- Mix the potatoes, leeks and ham together in the dish, and spread out in an even layer.
- Pour over the stock mixture and tuck the bay leaf in the middle. Season and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Stand the dish on a baking tray to catch any overflow. Loosely cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Test the potatoes with a knife – they should be just beginning to soften.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 35-45 minutes, spooning some of the sauce mixture over every now and again until the potatoes are tender.
- Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Cooks Notes & Variations
Rate this Recipe