Bauernfrühstück (Farmer’s breakfast) is a German country breakfast dish made from fried potatoes, eggs, onions, leeks or chives, and bacon or ham. It is similar to the somewhat simpler English Bubble and Squeak. The ingredients are mixed in a pan and fried as an omelette. It is usually accompanied by a tomato salad or pickles (gherkins). An urban Berlin version is called “Hoppelpoppel”
- 600 g desiree potatoes, peeled, sliced
- 120 g bacon, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely sliced chives
- Bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil. Add the sliced potato, lower heat until simmering and cook for 13-15 minutes, or until tender.
- In a large frying pan, sauté the bacon over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add the olive oil and cooked potato slices, and fry, stirring regularly, until golden brown (10 minutes).
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs with the milk, oregano, and salt and pepper. Combine well.
- Adjust heat to medium-low and pour the mixture over the golden brown potato. Gently move the potato and egg mixture with a wooden spoon until the egg is cooked (2-3 minutes).
- Sprinkle with chives and serve immediately.