A classic side dish in Iceland, these butter-and-sugar-glazed potatoes are ubiquitous on many Icelandic Christmastime tables and are traditionally considered a delightful addition to a roasted shoulder of lamb.
Brúnaðar Kartöflur - Caramelised Potatoes
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Servings: 4 servingsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe Rate this Recipe
- 900 g small waxy potatoes
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2½ tablespoons unsalted butter
- Boil potatoes in a 6 litre saucepan of water until tender, 12–15 minutes.
- Drain potatoes; let them sit in the colander for about 5 minutes to dry out and then peel
- Add sugar and 2 tablespoons water to pan; simmer over medium-high until syrup is golden, 6–8 minutes.
- Stir in butter and potatoes; cook until glazed, about 5 minutes.
Rate this Recipe
Serving: 0g | Calories: 0kcal | Carbohydrates: 0g | Protein: 0g | Fat: 0g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 0mg | Potassium: 0mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 0% | Vitamin C: 0% | Calcium: 0% | Iron: 0%