This is a classic potato salad found at any folk festival or fairground in Panama. This Ensalada de Feria is the perfect dish for the summer: it is both fresh and colourful making an ideal side dish for a BBQ this summer.
- 1 kg Coliban potatoes , about 6 small, peeled and cut into medium sized pieces
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into medium sized pieces
- 3 medium beetroot, boiled cut into medium sized pieces.
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, cut into quarters or smaller pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped, (about 1 cup)
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise
- ⅔ cup evaporated milk
- ¾ tablespoon prepared English mustard
- ¾ tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- ½ cup cooked fresh green peas, cooled, for garnish (optional)
2 - 3 hours prior to making the salad :
- Place the potatoes and carrots in a suitable saucepan and cover with salted water and cook over medium-high heat for 20-25 minutes or until just tender (Do not overcook them). In another large saucepan place the trimmed beetroots and cover by 2cm with water. Cook for about 30 minutes over a medium-high heat until cooked. Peel and set aside to cool
To make the salad :
- Into a large bowl place the potatoes, carrots, beetroot chunks and eggs.
- In a separate bowl mix the onion, celery, mayonnaise, evaporated milk, mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Incorporate the dressing mixture into the potatoes, mixing very gently so that the potatoes do not break apart.
- Cover with a lid or plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours at least (overnight is even better).
- Stir occasionally (gently) to blend the flavours and intensify the dark pink colour.
- For Coliban potatoes substitute Russet potatoes.
- In place of the celery try using apple or a 50/50 combination of apple and celery.
- Canned baby beetroot can be substituted.
- Whenever you are stirring or combining do so VERY GENTLY so as not to break up the potato pieces