This potato salad is also known as Kartoffelsalat and is popular throughout Germany.
- 6 medium sized potatoes
- 4 bacon slices
- ¾ tablespoon onion; chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ tablespoons butter
- 1½ tablespoons unbleached flour
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- ¾ tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup beer; any brand
- ½ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1½ tablespoons chopped Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- Boil potatoes in medium-size saucepan until just tender. Peel and slice.
- Fry bacon until crisp. Break into small pieces and mix with onion, celery and salt; set aside.
- Stir melted butter and flour in a small saucepan until blended. Add mustard and sugar.
- Slowly stir in beer and Tabasco sauce. Bring to boil, stirring constantly.
- Pour over potatoes. Sprinkle with parsley.
- Toss lightly and let stand 1 hour.
- Add bacon mixture; toss gently and serve.
Like this recipe?Follow us @csoftwareaustra